Upcoming Events
12/17/2017 - 9:00 AM   Early Morning Worship Service
12/17/2017 - 11:00 AM   Worship Services
12/24/2017 - 9:00 AM   Early Morning Worship Service
12/24/2017 - 11:00 AM   Worship Services
12/31/2017 - 9:00 AM   Early Morning Worship Service
12/31/2017 - 11:00 AM   Worship Services

St. Luke Primitive Baptist Church is located in the heart of Nashville, TN. We are a church of diverse backgrounds with one heart of mind to serve the Lord. We are motivated to meet the needs of our community by effectively preaching and teaching God's word. The St. Luke church has been a pillar in the south Nashville community for over 144 years. We are one of the fastest growing congregations in the city. Yet, while we grow in numbers we are excited about our growth in faith. Please find below information about the Primitive Baptist Faith and the St. Luke PBC church history.   

 

 THE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH COVENANT

 

 

Forasmuch Almighty God, by His Grace, has been pleased to call us out of darkness into His Marvelous light, and all of us have been  regularly baptized upon a profession of our faith in Christ Jesus and have given up ourselves to the Lord, and to one another, in a gospel agreeable to the Word of God:  We do, therefore, in the name of the Lord Jesus and by His assistance, covenant and agree to keep up the discipline of the Church of which we are members, in the most brotherly affection towards each other, while we endeavor particularly to observe the following rules, namely:

     In brotherly love to pray for each other, to watch over one another, and if need be, in the most tender and affectionate manner, to reprove one another.  That is, if we discover anything amiss in a brother, to go and tell him his fault according to the direction given by the Lord in the eighteenth chapter of Matthew and not to be whispering and backbiting. 

     We also agree with God's assistance to pray in our family, attending our Church meetings, observe the Lord's Day and keep it holy, and not absent ourselves from the communion of The Lord's Supper without a lawful reason; to be ready to communicate to the defraying of the Church's expenses, and for the support of the ministry not to irregularly depart from the fellowship of the Church, not to remove to distant Churches without a regular dismissal.  These things we do covenant and observe and keep sacred in the name of and by the assistance of God, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.  Amenen

 

Church History

Shortly after the Civil War, in 1867, there were several black people who showed interest in the preaching and teaching of Dr. Bun Stephen who was the pastor of the College Hill Primitive Baptist Church, which was an all white congregation.  These black people believed in the doctrine of the Primitive Baptists, but there was no black church where they could worship.  Dr. Stephen realized there was a need for a preacher for them.  Being lead by the spirit he ordained Charles Maxfield and the blacks were allowed to worship in the basement of the College Hill Church.  By 1871, 137 years ago, the congregation had grown to such an extent that Elder Maxfield, Dr Stephens and the deacons of College Hill felt that blacks should have their own church building.  The blacks accompanied Elder Maxfield and Deacon Samuel Shelby to a spot of ground in the Maury Claiborne addition of Nashville, where a small frame house was built.  St. Luke still stands on this same piece of land today!

     After being the pastor for a short while Elder Maxfield moved on to Texas, leaving St. Luke without a pastor.  St. Luke then called Elder W.M. Cooper who pastored for a short time until he passed away in 1875.  After Elder Cooper's passing, on the recommendation of Dr. Stephen (who at that time continued to guide St. Luke), John Crawley, Deacon Samuel Shelby and St. Luke called its third pastor, Elder Mason.  Elder Mason was a pastor of Sandy Hill in Rutherford County at the time.  He also, was a district school teacher.  The congregation at that time was 47 strong in membership.  Then, St. Luke was known as Lewis Street Primitive Baptist Church.

     The congregation soon grew too large for the frame house in which they were worshiping, and in 1880, Elder Mason saw a need for a larger church house.  He sought the advice of his deacon board, Jesse Vaughn, Thomas Sanders, Adam Perkins, Samuel Shelby and Washington Campbell.  After carefully considering plans for building a larger church, the pastor and deacons proceeded to borrow $3,000 from the Building and Loan Association. A large brick edifice was erected and the congregation continued to grow.  The deacon board paid back on the $3,000 loan each month, according to their promise, but the debt was decreased by only a small amount regardless of their continuance to pay.

     In 1887, the church was sold by the officers of the Loan Association.  At that time Elder Mason had gained the full confidence of the flock and also the white brethren and friends in the city.  Elder Mason and the congregation gave Mr. M.B. Howell the money to purchase the church for them.  The congregation then settled down thinking they were out of debt. In 1896, the officers of the loan company filed a bill in Chancery Court against the pastor and deacon board for interest on the $3, 000 for seven years.  Elder Mason, being the Moderator of the Cumberland Association of Primitive Baptist had a reputation as a fine, honest, upright Christian gentleman.  He had many offers from his kind white friends.  Mr. Metzger, a real estate agent, bought the church for $1,900.  When the firm dissolved the partnership, the notes were sold to Mr. Kline, a merchant near the church.  He in turn transferred the notes to Dr. Campbell.

     At the time of Elder Mason's death, February 27, 1915, St. Luke only owed $400 on the church.  Elder Mason remained Pastor St. Luke for thirty eight years and five months.    Due to Elder Mason's prestigious positions with Cumberland Association of Primitive Baptist and the Nashville community, his funeral was held at the Ryman Auditorium.  The large demand for taxi service caused a grid lock of the Nashville area.

     In 1915, the church called Elder Henry Covington as its fourth pastor.  After Elder Covington and the members paid off the $4,000 St. Luke had been paid for the second time at a cost of $4,600.  The merchant near the church tried to beat the pastor and the congregation out of the church and use it as a theater.  Sometime between 1915 and April, 1916, the Lewis Street Primitive Baptist Church was changed to St. Luke Primitive Baptist Church.

     Robert Nelson, Jacob Hadley, Lewis Wilson and George Fox, realizing they were the only surviving trustees decided for the purpose of protecting the title of the property, bargained and sold it for the consideration of One Dollar ($1.00) to the new St. Luke Primitive Baptist Church Trustee Board.  The trustees were Robert Nelson, Jacob Hadley, Lewis Wilson, George Fox, Allen Terel, Henry Covington and Ed Rutledge.  The property was conveyed to them and their successors to hold for the use of the congregation of the St. Luke Primitive Baptist Church and cannot be sold, leased, mortgaged or in any way encumber property except by first calling a meeting of the Board and at least five members of the board voting to call a church meeting to authorize them to do so.  This transfer of title took place on July 31, 1919, registered in the Register' Office on August 26, 1919.

     Elder Covington was a well liked man.  He held the office of assistance clerk of the Cumberland Association of Primitive Baptist for several years.  Elder Covington loved his members and community.  Elder Covington brought the membership up to 100 members before his passing in 1943.  He was pastor of St. Luke for twenty-eight years.

     In January, 1944, the Church called Elder Ernest Floyd to be its fifth pastor.  Elder Floyd was later called to pastor Stone River and Cemetery in addition to St. Luke.  Under his leadership three of his deacons became preachers, Lowery Mooney, Leelam Hays and Frank Dowell.

     On April 22, 1967, the Church elected Elder Lowery Mooney, who was already assisting Elder Floyd, to become their sixth pastor.  Under Elder Mooney's leadership many souls were saved.  One layman, Brother Huston Whitney, was called to the ministry during this time.  At one point there were approximately 400 members on the roll.  Elder Mooney loved his church and its members.  Elder Mooney was a very industrious man, he could get things done when no one else could or would.  Many things were done to upgrade the building including the addition of the fellowship hall and programs of the church.  He also held several offices in Cumberland Association.  Elder Mooney pastored for more than 34 years before failing health caused him to retire. He retired as Pastor Emeritus of St. Luke in September of 2001, 35 years after his calling.

     The Church elected Elder Cornelius A. Hill to become its seventh pastor, after Elder Mooney's retirement.  Elder Hill had been at St. Luke for three years assisting Elder Mooney by carrying on the Sunday services, teaching Sunday school, and bible study.  Elder Hill took the pulpit on December 9, 2001, as the new pastor.   Under his leadership enhancements to the church building was made.  The Children's Church was implemented.  He always encouraged his members to study and to always bring your bible to church.  During Elder Hill's ministry Sister Onedia Butler announced her calling to the ministry, Sister Gloria Tucker announced her evangelistic calling, Sister Yvette Cloyd announced her Prophetic calling and Brother Jaymes R. Mooney announced his calling to the ministry.  Two new deacons were also added under Elder Hill's leadership.

      During the February, 2006 quarterly council meeting Elder Hill resigned as pastor.   At this point it was up the deacons to take care of the church.  The deacons appointed sixteen year old Minister Jaymes Mooney to officiate over the pulpit.  Minister Mooney and Evangelist Gloria Tucker were responsible for the teaching of Sunday school and Minister Mooney for the teaching of Bible study.  A search committee for a new pastor was appointed by the church.

     At the February 24, 2007, quarterly council meeting the search committee presented their recommendation for a new pastor.  They recommended Elder Frank D. Stevenson, Sr.  At that time he was pastor at St. James Primitive Baptist Church in Pulaski, TN.  The body voted to accept Elder Frank Stevenson, Sr. as St. Luke's eighth pastor.  Elder Stevenson took over the pulpit on Sunday March 18, 2007.  God is still blessing St. Luke through Elder Stevenson's leadership. 

In the short time he has been pastor, several enhancements to the building have been made including:

  •  in the front of the church two bathrooms have been installed
  • erecting private entrances to the finance and pastor's office
  • renovations to the basement to make a classroom for Children's Church
 Elder Stevenson has also implemented several ministries within St. Luke. There have been more than 1,000 new members have been added to St. Luke's roll.  Over these last five years nine new deacons and nine new mothers.  There have been 21 ministers added to the Pastoral Staff.  Elder Stevenson currently serves as the Vice President of the Tennessee State Primitive Baptist Convention as well as the Vice Moderator for the Cumberland Association of Primitive Baptist Churches.

For 145 years God has continued to hold St. Luke in His hands and demonstrated his love.  God has blessed us over and over again with His Grace, Mercy and Love.  We give all praise and glory to our Father who cares for us.

    

 

 

 

 

Sunday
9:00 AMRadio Broadcast

Stations 102.1fm


9:00 AMMorning Glory Service-The 1st Sunday of each month
@ 135 Lewis Street

9:45 AMSunday School

@ 800 Youngs Lane, 37207


10:00 AMNew Members Class
@ 800 Youngs Lane, 37207

11:00 AM Morning Worship
@ 800 Youngs Lane

Monday
6:45 PMYoung Adult Praise Dancers
Ages 15 & older

Wednesday
12:00 PMSenior Bible Study 50+

6:00 PMYouth Praise Dancers
Youth ages 5-14

7:00 PMBible Study
@ 135 Lewis Street

Thursday
7:00 PMMass Choir Rehearsal

Friday
6:00 PMRecovery Ministry (1st and 3rd Friday)